Plans to grant more autonomy to Libya's oil rich east were laid out this week at the nation's first oil and gas summit held in Rome after months of unease among international oil companies over the uncertainty.
A new system in place will devolve power to subsidiary firms previously controlled by the state's National Oil Corporation (NOC) Mohamed Elabdaly, chair of the Libya Oil and Gas Summit, said.
"Previously, subsidiaries did not have control over exploration, upgrading and training. All that will change," said Elabdaly in an interview given on the sidelines of the summit.
Libya's east was starved of cash during Muammar Qaddafi's 42-year rule, and calls for federal rule have been fuelled by long-standing complaints it has been deprived of its fair share of wealth.
Libya's first steps to destroy its vast stockpile of landmines are a positive development, and the demolitions should continue, Human Rights Watch said today.
On March 21, 2012, Human Rights Watch witnessed the destruction of nearly 100 Chinese-made Type-72SP antivehicle landmines near al-Abiar in eastern Libya. Since mid-February, nearly 20,000 mines weighing two tons have been destroyed, representing a small fraction of all mines inherited from the Gaddafi government.
"The Libyans have begun respecting their 2011 pledge to destroy the hundreds of thousands of landmines in their possession," said Steve Goose, arms director at Human Rights Watch. "Now the work needs to continue to ensure that these indiscriminate weapons cannot be used in Libya or anywhere else."
First International Fair Since Gaddafi Ousted in April
Libya’s economy minister Ahmed El-Koshly said that Libya's ’s first international trade fair since the ousting of Gaddafi will be held from April 2 to April 24.
Mr El-Koshly said that the 40th Tripoli International Fair will focus on opportunities to rebuild infrastructure.
Trade fair manager Ahmed Ali Mourad said that about 350 local companies have already indicated they would be are participating, while international firms from eight nations have expressed interest. Mourad said the largest foreign contingent slated to attend was from France, with about 50 companies representing various industries including construction and housing.
Gazprom, Libya discuss resuming joint oil and gas projects
Gazprom has discussed possibilities to resume joint oil and gas projects with the new Libyan government.
According to the statement made by Gazprom International, the operator of Gazprom’s foreign projects, the talks were held on the sidelines of the conferences “Oil and Gas in Libya - 2012” in Rome.
The representatives of the Libyan government and the national oil and gas company said they would respect all previous agreements and contractual obligations that other countries, in particular Russia, had signed with the previous Libyan government.
Libyan Health Ministry says at least 50 killed in 2 days of tribal clashes in south
A Libyan health official said Tuesday that at least 50 people have been killed in two days of tribal clashes in southern Libya.
In the southern city of Sabha, armed tribes clashed for a second day, using mortars, automatic rifles, snipers on rooftops and rockets with a range of 10 kilometers (six miles). The tribes were fighting in the city’s main streets as the central government in Tripoli struggled to intervene.
Libyan Health Ministry official Abdul-Rahman al-Hasnawy said most the 50 died of gunshot and shrapnel wounds. He said about 160 people were wounded. Some were transferred to other cities for treatment.
The clashes in Sabha, about 650 kilometers (400 miles) south of the capital, Tripoli, erupted Monday after a man from the Tabu tribe allegedly killed a member of the Abu Seif tribe.
With no government force in Sabha, a Benghazi-based former rebel group from the northeast that was once an elite paramilitary force traveled on its own there Tuesday to try to resolve the crisis.
Rival militia in the southern Libyan city of Sabha have reached an agreement to end clashes that killed more than 50 people, marking a fresh attempt by the government to impose order nationwide months after the overthrow of Muammar Gaddafi.
Representatives from the militia had agreed to a ceasefire on Wednesday but some clashes resumed hours later. Trouble erupted on Sunday when the groups - one comprising fighters from Sabha, the other from the Tibu ethnic group - fell out in a minor dispute over a car, locals there had said.
Bereft of a genuine national army, the Libya's ruling National Transitional Council (NTC) has struggled to persuade the many militia who fought Gaddafi to lay down their arms and join the armed forces and police.
A delegation of officials from various government ministries travelled to Sabha to try to reach an agreement between both sides.
"The conflict parties have reached an agreement and it will be signed in the next few hours," Mohammed al-Harizy, spokesperson for the NTC, told a news conference, adding the violence had begun from a dispute over payment for former rebel fighters.
Reading out a statement, Harizy said both sides had agreed the Libyan army would take control of entry points into Sabha including the airport, scene of some of the fighting.
He said the agreement also called for Tibu fighters from outside Sabha to leave the city, adding that a separate NTC delegation was on its way to Sabha.
Government spokesperson Nasser al-Manee said on Wednesday that 3 000 soldiers and border guards had been sent to the area.
In Sabha, the scene was much quieter, Sabha fighter Oweidat al-Hifnawi said. "There was an agreement and there is no more fighting," he said by phone.
A European rights watchdog rapped NATO on Thursday for failing to help a migrant boat during the Libyan war as aid groups vowed to sue the French military over an incident that left 63 people dead.
A small boat left Tripoli in late March 2011 carrying 72 Africans, including 50 men, 20 women and two babies, but only nine survived after two weeks adrift in the Mediterranean, the Council of Europe said.
"Many opportunities for saving the lives of the persons on board the boat were lost," a council committee said in a report denouncing a "catalogue of failures" by Libyan, Italian, Maltese and NATO authorities.
Several Western warships were in the Mediterranean at the time enforcing a NATO-led arms embargo, but no one including fishing vessels in the area responded to distress calls, the report said.
"NATO failed to react to the distress calls, even though there were military vessels under its control in the boat's vicinity when the distress call was sent," said the report presented by Dutch socialist senator Tineke Strik.
It said a Spanish frigate, the Mendez Nunez, was 11 miles away from the drifting boat but Spain disputes this distance.
A helicopter dropped biscuits and water to the migrants at one point but never returned, and a large military ship "came into close contact with the boat, but ignored obvious distress signals," the council report said.
Bilal Yacoub Idris, a 30-year-old survivor from Ethiopia, recalled how the migrants were tightly packed in the dinghy after paying smugglers to flee the Libyan conflict towards Europe.
"It was completely overcrowded. Everyone was sitting on everybody else. I had someone sitting on top of me, and this person had someone sitting on top of him," the report quoted him as saying.
Stephane Maugendre, a lawyer and president of the French Immigrant Worker Support and Information Group (GISTI), announced that it would file a lawsuit in Paris next month in the name of survivors.
"We will file a complaint against the French armed forces for failure to assist people in danger," Maugendre said at a press conference in Brussels, adding that similar lawsuits would be filed in other European nations.
Pure Technologies resumes Libyan water project suspended after war broke out
Pure Technologies Ltd. is back to work on a water project in Libya that was suspended after a civil war broke out in the country earlier this year.
The Calgary-based company, which provides technology for monitoring pipelines and other infrastructure, said Friday it has resumed work on the Man-Made River prestressed pipeline network and has received $16 million in payment from the Man-Made River Authority.
That represents 70 per cent of the value of previous shipments under a $30-million acoustic monitoring technology contract awarded in 2010.
"Payment of remaining outstanding receivables relating to this contract, and a separate technical support contract, are anticipated in due course," Pure said in a statement.
The pipeline is the main water supply for Libya's cities.
16 dead in tribal clashes in Libya's Sabha: local sources
At least 16 people were killed on Saturday in new clashes between the Toubou people and Arab tribesmen in the southern Libyan desert oasis of Sabha, local and medical sources told AFP.
A doctor at Sabha hospital, treating Arab casualties, said eight people were killed and another 50 wounded in fighting between the early morning and noon. A Toubou tribal source said eight of their people were also killed.
"We haven't slept since yesterday. The Toubou have been attacking Sabha since three in the morning, and they very nearly took the city. Al the residents have taken up arms to defend it," Dr Abdelrahman al-Arish told AFP.
Adem al-Tebbawi, a local Toubou official, spoke of eight dead and "several wounded" on his side.
"We have respected a truce and we want reconciliation, but the other tribes -- especially the Awled Suleiman -- have not stopped attacking us for several days. We have been deprived of both water and power."
The Libyan ministry of defence on Saturday enlisted more than 8,000 former rebels who will be trained in the protection of borders and strategic sites including the nation's vital oil installations.
"The 8,000 who joined are from all over Libya," said the deputy defence minister, Sadiq al-Obeidi, at the signing of an agreement to bring former rebels under his ministry's authority and provide them with specialised training.
The agreement stipulates the training of 8,055 former fighters who will be deployed to protect the North African Nation's vast borders and strategic sites.
"Many of them are residents from regions near the oil fields and many of them have already been protecting oil installations in the past few months," Obeidi said, adding that training would take six weeks.
The programme is part of broader efforts to bring former rebels who fought Moamer Kadhafi's forces last year in the fold of state authorities, or nudge them back to civilian life through business loans and educational opportunities.
"State institutions cannot be strengthened without the integration of revolutionaries," said Mustafa al-Saqizli, chairman of the board for veteran affairs, adding that 200,000 rebels have registered with his body.
The interior and defence ministries have taken charge of approximately 25,000 former rebels each. Of the 200,000 registered war veterans, at least 30 percent want to join the private sector, Saqizli said.
Air & naval bases in Eastern Libya handed over to national army
Revolutionaries of the Libyan eastern city of Tubruq have taken the initiative and decided to hand over military bases to the National army in an attempt to help restore security and stability.
State officials have been assigned by the interim government to sign a protocol to disarm Tubrug revolutionaries and to take over the running of military bases there. Revolutionaries here believe it is time for them to comply with the state's law.
Armed groups here, comprising of former revolutionaries who operated outside the government's control, have carried out much of the responsibility of policing the city of Tubruq in the absence of national army and police force. Now they have all agreed to lay down arms.
Unlike Armed groups in western cities of Libya who are still reluctant to hand over military bases, revolutionaries here have pleased everybody by delivering their weapons to the state.
Officials here say that handing over the air and naval bases in Tubruq to the state official military institutions is a highly successful move and a clear message to revolutionaries in the west to do the same. However tensions and conflicts in south Libya are still standing as a stumbling block on the way to achieve stability.
Two Russians Accused of Intent to Down NATO Planes
A group of CIS nationals detained in Libya eight months ago have been charged with collaboration with the Gaddafi regime and face the death penalty. According to Kommersant’s sources, Libyan officials earlier assured Russian diplomats that the case would not be brought to court.
The group includes two Russians, three Belarusians and 20 Ukrainians. One of the Russians, Alexander Shadrov, said they were formally charged on Monday. “One charge concerns our alleged intent to down NATO planes and the other - collaboration with the Gaddafi regime,” he said.
The accused say they came to Libya last summer to operate oil rigs, but a week later government troops forced them to service military equipment on threat of death. In August 2011, the military base near Tripoli where they worked was seized by the Libyan rebel brigade Al-Qa'Qaa and they were detained.
The detainees have refuted all charges. Shadrov told the BBC that they could have been released through diplomatic channels long ago. However, he said, the Russian diplomats apparently waited to see who would come to power, instead of “dealing with the brigade commander.”
Ukrainian diplomats have succeeded in releasing two Ukrainian nationals, a man and a woman. “We will not say that our nationals are innocent,” said the head of the Information Policy Department at the Ukrainian Foreign Ministry, Oleh Voloshyn. “When 20 men go to a country at the height of hostilities, it raises questions, especially if they have a military education and years of military service to their credit.” Ukraine hopes that all or most of its nationals will be acquitted or at most found guilty of misdemeanors such as illegal entry or other visa violations. “Then we will insist that they be allowed to serve their sentences in Ukraine,” Voloshyn said.
The press secretary of the Belarusian Foreign Ministry, Andrei Savinykh, said the detained Belarusians went to Libya under civilian contracts to work at civilian facilities.
But experts fear that Libyan prosecutors could demand the harshest possible sentence, even including capital punishment. “They are pressurizing Russia for other geopolitical reasons,” said Yevgeny Satanovsky, president of the Middle East Institute.
This website exists for fun and discussion only. The reader is responsible for discerning the validity, factuality
or implications of information posted here, be it fictional or based on real events.
The content of posts on this site, including but not limited to links to other web sites,
are the expressed opinion of the original poster and are in no way
representative of or endorsed by the owners or administration of this
website. The posts on this website are the opinion of the specific
author and are not statements of advice, opinion, or factual
information on behalf of the owner or administration of
LunaticOutPost.Com. The owners or administration of this website can't
be hold responsible for content hosted on sites that posters link to
in; including, but not limited to, posts, signatures, private messages and such.
This site may contain content not suitable for minors and if you feel
you might be offended by such content, you should log off immediately.
Fair Use Notice:
This site may contain copyrighted material the use
of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright
owner. Users may make such material available in an effort to advance
awareness and understanding of issues relating to civil rights,
economics, individual rights, international affairs, liberty, science
& technology, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any
such copyrighted material. The
material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have
expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for
research and educational purposes.
In accordance with industry accepted best practices we ask that users
limit their copy / paste of copyrighted material to the relevant
portions of the article you wish to discuss (no more than 50% of the
source material) provide a link back to the original article and provide
your original comments / criticism in your post with the article. If you are a legal copyright holder or a designated agent for such and
you believe a post on this website falls outside the boundaries of "Fair
Use" and legitimately infringes on yours or your clients copyright please contact [email protected]
This website is owned by :
2516 XR The Hague
I will not rent, sell, share or otherwise disclose your personal information to any third party.
We might contact you from time to time
regarding your purchases or the services (like forums and announcement
lists) you have subscribed to.
to track peformance and/or to serve relevant ads.
If you wish to read more and/or opt out of such cookies, please visit: http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/