Look at how far off these alleged statistics have to be - this is from the handbook they use to classify crimes 'uniformly' - CORONER REPORTS, DUE PROCESS AND OUTCOME DOESN"T MATTER!!! Nice scam TPTB has going on here:
City, county, state, tribal, and federal law enforcement agency participants must classify and score offenses from the records of calls for service, complaints, and/or investigations. Since these crime statistics are intended to assist law enforcement in identifying the crime problem, participants must record offense counts, not the findings of a court, coroner, or jury or the deci- sion of a prosecutor.
This means 'crimes' where the suspect was proven innocent are still counted as crimes.
This means crimes where charges were later upgraded or downgraded during the course of an investigation may not be counted accordingly.
Check this out on Page 16 of the handbook:
The following scenarios illustrate incidents known to law enforcement that reporting agencies must classify as Criminal Homicide—Murder and Nonnegligent Manslaughter (1a):
1. A berserk gunman shot and killed three pedestrians. The police subdued the offender and placed him under arrest.
2. A neighbor discovered an infant who had been beaten. The neighbor rushed the infant to the hospital. The infant later died as a direct result of the injuries. Investigation revealed that the mother was responsible. The mother was not considered mentally competent, and the district attorney did not wish to prosecute.
3. A man shot and killed his neighbor in an argument over the location of their property line. The police arrested the man and charged him with murder.
4. A husband and wife had an argument. The wife shot the husband and severely wounded him. He grabbed the gun and shot and killed her. The husband survived his wounds. The police subsequently arrested him.
5. A man was in a fight on the second floor of a building. During the fight, he was knocked through a window and fell to his death. No arrest was made.
6. While attempting to break up a fight, a man was struck over the head with an ashtray by one of the combatants. During the incident, a pre-existing aneurysm burst in the man’s head, causing his death. No arrest was made.
7. A psychiatrist counseling a young female patient performed a criminal abortion on her. She died of peritonitis resulting from the operation. The psychiatrist fled the state and is still wanted for the crime.
8. A teller chased a robber from a bank. The robber fired at him. His shot missed the teller but killed a woman walking on the street. The police did not locate the robber.
9. While playing cards, two men got into an argument. The first man attacked the second with a broken bottle. The second man pulled a gun and killed the first. The police arrested the shooter; he claimed self-defense. The police found no other witnesses.
10. A felon fleeing in her car attempted to get through a police roadblock. As a result, she struck and killed two police officers.
Agencies must not classify the following as Criminal Homicide—Murder and Nonnegligent Manslaughter (1a):
• Suicides • Fetal deaths • Traffic fatalities
• Accidental deaths • Assaults to murder • Attempts to murder
* * * * * *
So, they're counting shitloads of incidents as murders where there were no charges filed and without pesky things like FACTS being applicable.
And Scripps decided to further play with the bullshit data to pump up their agenda by only adding what they felt like adding - data from the District of Columbia and data from only Florida and not from the rest of the USA's 50 states.