News
news China's Chilling 'Social Credit System' Is Straight Out of Dystopian Sci-Fi
news UFO 'death ray' made Korean War GIs sick
news The Haunted States of America
news When the Supernatural Feeds on Us
news Russian space agency says space station hole was deliberate sabotage
news Biblical end of days prophecy COMES TRUE as fish swim again in Dead Sea
news 1950s Science Kit Had Real Uranium
news We're Probably Living in a Simulation, Elon Musk Says
news It’s Now Possible To Telepathically Communicate with a Drone Swarm
news New material to 'speed spacecraft to 134,000,000 mph'
news The future of food: what we’ll eat in 2028

Username:
Password: or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Try This Trick to Unfreeze a Drain Pipe
Ghost of Skippy
lop guest
User ID: 402368
01-02-2018 11:17 PM

Try This Trick to Unfreeze a Drain Pipe
Advertisement
"While a space heater, a hairdryer, or any heating mechanism can generally do the trick, if you don't have any of those things to help you out you can simply pour saltwater down the drain to thaw your frozen pipes. Well, maybe not that simple. First you have to boil about a gallon of water and start pouring in salt until it no longer dissolves. Once you're finished, toss your hot and salty water down the drain to help thaw out those pipes."

https://lifehacker.com/5742516/defrost-y...-saltwater

Earlier, I thought about dissolving rock salt in water and pouring it in my shower because there is standing water. I just did it. I used a big chunk of rock salt and made sure to separate out the rocks so I wouldn't clog the drain.

We shall wait and see....
Quote this message in a reply
PopEye
lop guest
User ID: 436592
01-02-2018 11:19 PM

RE: Try This Trick to Unfreeze a Drain Pipe
I hope that it works out for you. Jhikpghf
LoP Guest
lop guest
User ID: 397275
01-02-2018 11:19 PM

That is a good way to corrode your pipes.
Skip.
lop guest
01-02-2018 11:24 PM

PopEye  Wrote: (01-02-2018 11:19 PM)
I hope that it works out for you. Jhikpghf

Thanks. If it's not gone by tonight, I'll add some more saltwater. I need to take another shower at least by Thursday morning. I had to take a real quick one today.
Skip.
lop guest
01-02-2018 11:25 PM

LoP Guest  Wrote: (01-02-2018 11:19 PM)

Daily showers should rinse the salt away. There is probably so much crap stuck to the walls of those old pipes that the salt will hardly get to the metal anyways.
LoP Guest
lop guest
User ID: 409271
01-02-2018 11:26 PM

Ghost of Skippy  Wrote: (01-02-2018 11:17 PM)
"While a space heater, a hairdryer, or any heating mechanism can generally do the trick, if you don't have any of those things to help you out you can simply pour saltwater down the drain to thaw your frozen pipes. Well, maybe not that simple. First you have to boil about a gallon of water and start pouring in salt until it no longer dissolves. Once you're finished, toss your hot and salty water down the drain to help thaw out those pipes."

Earlier, I thought about dissolving rock salt in water and pouring it in my shower because there is standing water. I just did it. I used a big chunk of rock salt and made sure to separate out the rocks so I wouldn't clog the drain.

or...remove your drain cover and get rid of the hair clog hanging on it..
chuckle
Skip.
lop guest
01-02-2018 11:29 PM

LoP Guest  Wrote: (01-02-2018 11:26 PM)

or...remove your drain cover and get rid of the hair clog hanging on it..
chuckle

A week of negative degree temps is the culprit. It happened the first year I moved here too but it was much worse. All my pipes were frozen then and a toilet burst in the apartment next to mine. We have a furnace down there now but about 8 feet from my shower drain to the main pipe froze. It's been crazy cold here every day.
LoP Guest
lop guest
User ID: 441438
01-02-2018 11:30 PM

Skip.  Wrote: (01-02-2018 11:25 PM)
LoP Guest  Wrote: (01-02-2018 11:19 PM)

Daily showers should rinse the salt away. There is probably so much crap stuck to the walls of those old pipes that the salt will hardly get to the metal anyways.

Some metals in pipes might become unstable even volatile if using certain substances, but i think salt should be safe. Hope you won`t need a plumber.
LoP Guest
lop guest
User ID: 412363
01-02-2018 11:32 PM

salt water is highly corrosive, it will rust metals quite fast.
Skip.
lop guest
01-02-2018 11:34 PM

LoP Guest  Wrote: (01-02-2018 11:30 PM)
Skip.  Wrote: (01-02-2018 11:25 PM)

Some metals in pipes might become unstable even volatile if using certain substances, but i think salt should be safe. Hope you won`t need a plumber.

The first year I used a portable barbecue grill and an ethanol burner like they use to keep food warm at banquets. It was a safe contained fire but it still made me nervous. I had initially put it too close to a wooden beam so I moved the grill to the floor of the basement. It did the trick. It's a very old house so I don't want to use any flames. Rock salt seems pretty safe. It will either work or not but I don't see it causing any long term problems.
Skip.
lop guest
01-02-2018 11:38 PM

LoP Guest  Wrote: (01-02-2018 11:32 PM)

salt water is highly corrosive, it will rust metals quite fast.

These are very old pipes, I'm sure there's quite a buffer zone of gunk between the inside of the pipe and the metal. It's just a temporary fix anyways. I won't be using it daily. Once the water drains again I'll make sure to run a lot of warm soapy water through to help flush the salt away. (Longer showers)
LoP Guest
lop guest
User ID: 441186
01-02-2018 11:38 PM

How about NOT having it freeze in the first place by installing

a heat tape around the pipe and providing adequate protection

with insulation and enclosure.

Seems simple right?
Skip.
lop guest
01-02-2018 11:41 PM

LoP Guest  Wrote: (01-02-2018 11:38 PM)
How about NOT having it freeze in the first place by installing

a heat tape around the pipe and providing adequate protection

with insulation and enclosure.

Seems simple right?

I'll give you my landlord's number... chuckle

It's been fine the past few years. This winter has been extraordinarily cold day after day.
Donald J Trump
Homer's University of GREATNESS
User ID: 425494
01-02-2018 11:51 PM

[Image: Frozen-pipes-in-the-garage.gif]

"Go with the flow, like a twig on the shoulders of a mighty stream" Del Griffith

[Image: XFRdwkW.png]
IWSTEEL
Love Each Other or Perish
User ID: 441420
01-02-2018 11:54 PM

i just uncover my drain and lit a gerble on fire.... he crawled right in

Still waiting to see if it works

My treasure is Imaginary
It Must be Sniffed out with Your Knows
Advertisement

Contact UsConspiracy Forum. No reg. required! Return to TopReturn to ContentRSS Syndication