News
news New biometric database can identify people through scars, tattoos and even their voice
news Cattle Are Being Mutilated And Killed In Eastern Oregon
news Insider Interview on Skinwalker Ranch History
news Squirrels Can Speak Bird
news US Navy pilot says mystery ‘dark mass’ emerged from ocean and swallowed torpedo
news Cognitive scientist says we see things as we need to, rather than as they are.
news A Movie You Control With Your Mind
news Radioactive Cloud That Blanketed Europe Traced to Russian Nuclear Facility
news Organization Says It’s Obtained ‘Exotic’ Metals Unknown to Science
news The frightening supernatural story of the Black Bird of Chernobyl
news Recent UFO Encounters With Navy Pilots Occurred Constantly Across Multiple Squadrons

Username:
Password: or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 5 Average

this winter i filled my greenhouse with plants .... no heat...-23 temperatures
great-grandfather
User ID: 578359
02-21-2021 12:45 PM

stars this winter i filled my greenhouse with plants .... no heat...-23 temperatures
Advertisement
its been an interesting year in the north... we had an unusually mild december and january but february (-23!!) has been bitter cold.... i have a technique ... and it worked... with absolutely no heat! ... here's a few pics... more to follow

spinach

[Image: iAfPP0o.jpg]

these peas were planted in december

[Image: 1uF14Y7.jpg]

purple broccoli and romanesco broccoli

[Image: X2QfsBR.jpg]

[Image: Hfv1tj4.jpg]

mustard greens

[Image: 1mxIZ9H.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2021 12:45 PM by great-grandfather.) Quote this message in a reply
great-grandfather
02-21-2021 12:51 PM

RE: this winter i filled my greenhouse with plants .... no heat...-23 temperatures
i had the idea that fresh compost is hot, too hot for plants to survive....so we dug trenches and filled them with hot spent mushroom compost and covered it with 6 " of soil....then we planted in the soil.... the plants have been covered with frost cloth and then greenhouse plastic .... they have been watered 3 times all winter, never been weeded and have no pests to speak of.... the black pots that the mustard greens are in are filled with the hot compost and 6 " soil on top.

very slow growing, and if i had started sooner, i would have had greater success, i certain plants did not survive as well as others, .... but many did !!
next year will be amazing !
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2021 12:54 PM by great-grandfather.) Quote this message in a reply
great-grandfather
02-21-2021 01:24 PM

RE: this winter i filled my greenhouse with plants .... no heat...-23 temperatures
kohlrabi

[Image: eFCfNC5.jpg]

arugula

[Image: doUgIx2.jpg]

beets

[Image: qBMDSWE.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply
PopEye
( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)
User ID: 436592
02-21-2021 02:01 PM

That's pretty neat, good job!

02-21-2021 02:18 PM

PopEye  Wrote: (02-21-2021 02:01 PM)

thanks popeye.... i think if this is the new normal weather pattern for my area... i have it figured out
PopEye
( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)
02-21-2021 02:24 PM

great-grandfather  Wrote: (02-21-2021 02:18 PM)

thanks popeye.... i think if this is the new normal weather pattern for my area... i have it figured out
It's pretty impressive... slower growth due to lower temps, but reduced pest problems. :thumbup

⚡⚡I Want Tuna⚡⚡
User ID: 575115
02-21-2021 02:36 PM

He has a good crop of spinach there.. :thumbup

Politics only interests me because it transforms
people into dribbling nincompoops (The World Is Mad)

PopEye
( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)
02-21-2021 02:41 PM

PuddyCat  Wrote: (02-21-2021 02:36 PM)

Yum!

⚡⚡I Want Tuna⚡⚡
User ID: 575115
02-21-2021 02:53 PM

PopEye  Wrote: (02-21-2021 02:41 PM)
PuddyCat  Wrote: (02-21-2021 02:36 PM)

Yum!

If you ever run low on supplies gimme a bell and I'll raid his patch. [Image: interpele.gif]

Politics only interests me because it transforms
people into dribbling nincompoops (The World Is Mad)

Isabella
User ID: 527189
02-21-2021 03:51 PM

great-grandfather  Wrote: (02-21-2021 12:51 PM)
i had the idea that fresh compost is hot, too hot for plants to survive....so we dug trenches and filled them with hot spent mushroom compost and covered it with 6 " of soil....then we planted in the soil.... the plants have been covered with frost cloth and then greenhouse plastic .... they have been watered 3 times all winter, never been weeded and have no pests to speak of.... the black pots that the mustard greens are in are filled with the hot compost and 6 " soil on top.

very slow growing, and if i had started sooner, i would have had greater success, i certain plants did not survive as well as others, .... but many did !!

Next year? chuckle
This years success is amazing!
Your vegetable plants are a beautiful sight in winter.
Thanks for the info and photos and enjoy your harvest.

IMPRESSIVE!

“If you want to influence Trump, you got to be the last guy he talks to."

Steve Bannon
Greener
User ID: 452588
02-21-2021 03:52 PM

Outstanding work!
great-grandfather
02-21-2021 03:58 PM

Isabella  Wrote: (02-21-2021 03:51 PM)
great-grandfather  Wrote: (02-21-2021 12:51 PM)

Next year? chuckle
This years success is amazing!
Your vegetable plants are a beautiful sight in winter.
Thanks for the info and photos and enjoy your harvest.

IMPRESSIVE!

i havent posted them all yet... thanks, it has been challenging... the biggest surprise are the vegetables that i thought were more cold hardy.... the success has been largely due to the hot daytime temperatures that warm everything up during the day, and hold the heat through most of the cold nights... it has been over 90 many days... unfortunately the hot daytime temperatures have caused some of the cold hardy crops to bolt ! caught me off guard.
great-grandfather
02-21-2021 03:58 PM

Greener  Wrote: (02-21-2021 03:52 PM)
Outstanding work!

thanks greener
Acid Cat!!!
Whiskers Jello
User ID: 578369
02-21-2021 04:19 PM

Very nice! What kind of greenhouse are you working with?

Kitty Man

Thirsty Monkey 2024
Aogzoo
the grey
User ID: 409200
02-21-2021 05:21 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZghkt5m1uY

I think I would bury a thick wall of styrofoam insulation, doen to the frost line, around the greenhouse.
That is, the soil in the greenhouse, would go all the way down to the 45/whatever degree geothermal ground temperature, and conduct it up yo the greenhouse soil. But, it would be insulated from the subfreezing soil, above the frostline, that surrounds the greenhouse.
And I agree, a compodt pile, within yhe greenhouse is a good idea.

I have no experience. But I have thought about growing some exotic plants rhat require a longer growing season, with electric grow lights. For instance, a grocery store I went to sells vanilla beans, for a buck, a piece. I imagin there might be some profit potential there.
I would like to grow my own, vanilla, coffee, avocado, spices, herbs, ginseng 'hemp', and all the other 'unmentionable' plants that are creating a trade deficit in America.. Naughty
There is a blue Jamaican banana variety, that is supposed to tolerate cool climates better, and taste more like vanilla icecream.(than yellow bananas)
As well as

Wizard1
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2021 05:42 PM by Aogzoo.) Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Contact UsConspiracy Forum. No reg. required! Return to TopReturn to ContentRSS Syndication