News
news A Strange Case of the CIA and UFO Researchers
news MKULTRA Victims File Lawsuit
news Teddy Roosevelt's Account of a Bigfoot Encounter
news Europe’s Oldest Tree Is At Least 1,230 Years Old And Still Growing
news Davy Crockett's Bigfoot Sighting
news What Are the Implications of Quantum Mechanics?
news Supernatural Cars on the Highways
news Mormons, Aliens, and Hangar 18
news The startup that wants you to 'live to 130 in the body of a 22-year-old'
news Is your cell phone being tracked?
news Octopuses are space aliens, scientists claim

Username:
Password: or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average

Trio of dead stars upholds a key part of Einstein’s theory of gravity
spɹɐʍoɔ snoɯʎuouɐ
☇☇Vocem sine nomine audivit!☇☇
User ID: kaput
01-13-2018 03:23 PM

Trio of dead stars upholds a key part of Einstein’s theory of gravity
Advertisement
Celestial orbital dance conforms with physicists’ expectations for ultradense objects

[Image: Lv0EfGRQ?format=jpg&name=600x314]
TRIPLE THREAT A threesome of dead stars has allowed a new test of a tenet of Einstein’s theory of gravity. The trio includes a pulsar (illustrated, with bands of electromagnetic radiation in blue) in orbit with a nearby white dwarf. A second white dwarf orbits farther afield (red, upper right).

Quote:“We’re asking, ‘How does gravity fall?’” says astronomer Anne Archibald of the University of Amsterdam, who presented the preliminary result at the meeting. “That sounds weird, but Einstein says energy and mass are the same.” That means that the energy bound up in a gravitational field can fall just as mass can. If the strong equivalence principle were violated, an object with an intense gravitational field would fall with a different acceleration than one with a weaker field.

To test this theory, scientists measured the timing of signals from a pulsar — a spinning, ultradense collapsed star that emits beams of electromagnetic radiation that sweep past Earth at regular intervals. The pulsar in question, PSR J0337+1715, isn’t just any pulsar: It has two companions (SN: 2/22/14, p.8). The pulsar orbits with a type of burnt-out star called a white dwarf. That pair is accompanied by another white dwarf, farther away.

If the strong equivalence principle holds, the paired-up pulsar and white dwarf should both fall at the same rate in the gravitational field of the second white dwarf. But if the pulsar, with its intense gravitational field, fell faster toward the outermost white dwarf than its nearby companion, the pulsar’s orbit would be pulled toward the outermost white dwarf, tracing a path in the shape of a rotating ellipse.

Scientists can use the timing of a pulsar’s signals to deduce its orbit. As a pulsar moves away from Earth, for example, its pulses fall a little bit behind its regular beat. So if J0337+1715’s orbit were rotating, signals received on Earth would undergo regular changes in their timing as a result. Archibald and colleagues saw no such variation. That means the pulsar and the white dwarf must have had matching accelerations, to within 0.16 thousandths of a percent.

more:
https://www.sciencenews.org/article/trio...ry-gravity

[Image: zXPwukO.jpg]
©®℮å†E
Quote this message in a reply
Fukunova
"Bittersweet Symphony"
User ID: 1337
01-13-2018 03:28 PM

RE: Trio of dead stars upholds a key part of Einstein’s theory of gravity
Threadtitle is a bit off...

The pulsar in the middle is not a dead star..

It is on it's way to death, might take a couple of million years still

Cheers

5star for the thread content, thanks!

More, give me more. Give me more
If I had a heart I could love you
If I had a voice I would sing
After the night when I wake up
I'll see what tomorrow brings
Quote this message in a reply

Contact UsConspiracy Forum. No reg. required! Return to TopReturn to ContentRSS Syndication