News
news Former MoD insider says UFOs are real and often narrowly miss crashing into planes
news Astronomers discovered 10 new moons of Jupiter. Where have they been hiding?
news Worms frozen in permafrost for up to 42,000 years come back to life
news High Strangeness at the Mysterious Bradshaw Ranch
news Great Pyramid can collect and focus energy
news Air Force fails to acknowledge mysterious meteor that crashed near US military base
news Rogue planet detected outside our solar system
news The Human-Bigfoot War of 1855
news We Asked People at a UFO Conference About Their Alien Encounters
news Work begins on Large Hadron Collider upgrade
news Jeremy Corbell Interviews Radar Operator of the Tic Tac UFO Event

Username:
Password: or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average

Let’s have a worthy debate about sea level rise
spɹɐʍoɔ snoɯʎuouɐ
☇☇Vocem sine nomine audivit!☇☇
User ID: 350320
06-13-2018 04:45 PM

Let’s have a worthy debate about sea level rise
Advertisement
Quote:Singer is arguably the granddaddy of modern-day climate change denialism. His latest commentary echoes the same misinformation as his recent Wall Street Journal commentary, “The Sea Is Rising, but Not Because of Climate Change.” It presents a virtual laundry list of discredited climate change denier talking points. No, sea levels aren’t rising at a steady rate — they are in fact accelerating. The rate of ice sheet melting in Greenland and Antarctica is also accelerating, in part due to warming oceans that erode the ice from beneath, destabilizing it.

These observations fly in the face of those who try to argue that sea level will continue to rise at the same rate, which is why legitimate scientific conclusions are reached not in op-ed pieces such as Singer’s, but through careful peer-reviewed research.

That research shows that sea levels are rising and human-caused climate change is the cause. Don’t just take our word for it; help yourself to the mountain of scientific literature demonstrating these inescapable conclusions.

Singer indeed knows that he doesn’t have the facts on his side, so he engages in distortion and diversion. For example, he takes a swipe at one of us as an “alarmist,” attacking the “Hockey Stick” curve published more than two decades ago demonstrating that recent warming is unprecedented in at least a thousand years. That work has been overwhelmingly reaffirmed and extended by subsequent work by numerous independent scientific teams. But professional climate change deniers continue to attack the curve because it is an iconic reminder of the profound impact that we are now having on this planet.

Perhaps because of the images of flooding that now permeate news broadcasts around the world as the seas rise and invade our coastlines, we are seeing a renewed attack on climate science: this time to discredit the link between human-caused climate change and sea level rise. Yet, even wealthy stretches of coastal real estate are feeling the pain of increased coastal flooding, the incidence of which has doubled over the past 30 years.

It is time to pivot and confront this head on. Even Singer’s opinion pieces do not deny the fact that sea level is rising. This is an issue that we can all get behind. Ensuring a secure coastal economy will benefit Americans of every stripe. If in doubt, just take in the symbolism painted inside of the dome of the U.S. Capitol building next time you walk through and note Minerva (science), Neptune (marine), and Mercury (commerce).

more:
http://thehill.com/opinion/energy-enviro...level-rise
Quote this message in a reply
Hamburgerwagon
Registered Burger
User ID: 249781
06-13-2018 04:46 PM

RE: Let’s have a worthy debate about sea level rise
Its going to happen. Not much we can do to stop it. People should never have stupidly built right on the coasts.
Eldog Wilbury
User ID: 441549
06-13-2018 04:55 PM

I live by the sea,if I go by the last 40+ years of my own observations,the shoreline is exactly where it was then.
LoP Guest
lop guest
User ID: 398305
06-13-2018 05:04 PM

Eldog Wilbury  Wrote: (06-13-2018 04:55 PM)
I live by the sea,if I go by the last 40+ years of my own observations,the shoreline is exactly where it was then.

They just keep moving those houses nearer the water....
LoP Guest
lop guest
User ID: 434171
06-13-2018 05:11 PM

We may have a sea level change.

If the pole shift goes physical, the water will bulge at the new equator.
LoP Guest
lop guest
User ID: 441732
06-13-2018 05:13 PM

Sea level rise is great if you have invested in beach wear and water sports.
Hamburgerwagon
Registered Burger
06-13-2018 05:17 PM

Next we will be trying to keep the continents from drifting. They need to stay right where they are for our convenience.
spɹɐʍoɔ snoɯʎuouɐ
☇☇Vocem sine nomine audivit!☇☇
User ID: 350320
06-13-2018 05:18 PM

[Image: image_gallery?uuid=437135ec-1a7d-4d08-a8...5501673688]

[Image: 440px-AYool_topography_15min.png]
Satellites are also used to measure bathymetry. Satellite radar maps deep-sea topography by detecting the subtle variations in sea level caused by the gravitational pull of undersea mountains, ridges, and other masses. On average, sea level is higher over mountains and ridges than over abyssal plains and trenches. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathymetry

[Image: 820px-Tide_overview.svg.png]

TerrainBase Global Land Elevation and Ocean Depth
https://www.creaf.uab.es/miramon/mmr/exa.../index.htm

Quote: It’s so obviously happening that denying its reality is a loser. It’s so obviously costly already (half a billion dollars in Miami) that trying to deny that will only prove that they’re not interested in reality. Sea level rise has gotten so out of hand, even climate deniers are worried about it (but for all the wrong reasons).

That’s why they keep trying the stupidest excuses imaginable to blame it on something — anything — other than global warming of course. The part which is both fascinating and disturbing is that, however moronic their claims, their followers are gullible enough to believe ’em.

Case in point: in a recent post I suggested that Roy Spencer move, together with his climate denial, to Miami Beach. This prompted a reader who is gullible enough to believe nonsense to comment:

Pardon me? Miami Beach? That pice of land where SUBSIDENCE is waaaay bigger than SLR? C’mon.

He’s just repeating some truly stupid bullshit, which makes him look truly stupid.

I guess he’s unaware that we have sea level data which is unaffected by land movement: the satellite data. It doesn’t measure relative sea level as tide gauges do, which depends on the height of the sea surface and the height of the land. It measures sea surface height directly.

We can compare the tide gauge data from Miami (Virginia Key is the closest station which is up-to-date) and the satellite data. The difference between relative sea level (from the tide gauge) and sea surface height (from satellites) estimates how the land has moved. And … what do we find? Here’s the satellite data for the ocean near Miami Beach (in blue) and the tide gauge data (in red):

[Image: compare.jpg?w=500&h=333]
more:
https://tamino.wordpress.com/2018/06/11/...king-fast/

https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms9798

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-018-03474-8
Hamburgerwagon
Registered Burger
06-13-2018 05:19 PM

Herp-a-derp
Damrod
Seeker of knowledge
User ID: 445680

How about ....no.

How about....just like "climate change"...can't fix it and you shouldn't fret over things you have no control over.

How about....maybe some of us are smart and live in the hills and mountains and don't give a f*ck about seal level rise

Michael-AK:
"I Support Anarchist Leaders"

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Jefferson

Everything I post is my personal opinion and should not be construed as anything more than that
LoP Guest
lop guest
User ID: 445852

There isn't. I live on the beach and its the same as it was in 1982

There is erosion from storms
Hamburgerwagon
Registered Burger
06-13-2018 05:20 PM

Damrod  Wrote: (06-13-2018 05:19 PM)
How about ....no.

How about....just like "climate change"...can't fix it and you shouldn't fret over things you have no control over.

How about....maybe some of us are smart and live in the hills and mountains and don't give a f*ck about seal level rise

Welcome back dude. We were banned together. Wasnt it fun?
Hamburgerwagon
Registered Burger
06-13-2018 05:20 PM

The Earth changes on its own. People arent the cause. This is all herp a derp.
He Man
Another day in paradise
User ID: 426188
06-13-2018 05:21 PM

Yep it is happening just as it was predicted by science and research.

Scream1

Making LOP Great again since 06-07-2013!

[Image: n8mEMgA.jpg]

Ohh the inhumanity! chuckle
Damrod
Seeker of knowledge
User ID: 445680
06-13-2018 05:22 PM

Hamburgerwagon  Wrote: (06-13-2018 05:20 PM)
Damrod  Wrote: (06-13-2018 05:19 PM)
How about ....no.

Welcome back dude. We were banned together. Wasnt it fun?

It was a good break actually.

I got a lot of work done for the business and around the house.

It wasn't missed as much as some folks want to believe it would be.

Michael-AK:
"I Support Anarchist Leaders"

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Jefferson

Everything I post is my personal opinion and should not be construed as anything more than that
Advertisement

Contact UsConspiracy Forum. No reg. required! Return to TopReturn to ContentRSS Syndication