News
news UFO over North Korea?
news These odd, creepy stories will convince you this old castle in England is haunted
news Journey to the Akashic Records
news The Risks of Digital DNA
news The Gulf Breeze UFO Wave - 30 Years Later
news Television's Most Infamous Hack Is Still a Mystery 30 Years Later
news Russian citizens share photos of the weirdest things they have spotted in public
news The ‘Hallucination Machine’ Alters Consciousness in the Name of Science
news US airman takes lie detector test to 'prove he saw UFO land near RAF base 37 years ago'
news Owls In Spielberg's 'Close Encounters'
news The People Who Are Tripping Forever

Username:
Password: or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.2 Average

How Cats Won the Internet
BlackCat
Every day is an extra day
User ID: 327280
09-22-2015 09:24 PM

How Cats Won the Internet
Advertisement
[Image: p032tjhx.jpg]

Quote:By Maria Bustillos
21 September 2015

The following is an essay called Hope Is the Thing with Fur by Maria Bustillos, from the book Cat Is Art Spelled Wrong:

I once dreamed I was a grey kitten of perhaps four months of age; in the best part, I jumped from a table onto the distant wooden floor.

The soft pads of my paws cushioned my landing in a deeply pleasurable and unexpected manner, and I found myself sashaying around and swishing my tail in contentment.

This dream (a favourite, and one I often relive in memory) demonstrated my long-held belief in the many superiorities of cats to humans.

The bodies of cats are exquisitely mobile; they can leap huge distances relative to their size; they are fast and alert and elegant; they have long, sensitive whiskers and delicate ears that can focus in any direction they choose.

They can purr, communicating a delight that reverberates through their whole bodies. They also sleep half the day! There’s so much to envy there. So much to admire.

[...]

Cat videos are the crystallisation of all that human beings love about cats, the crux of which is centred in the fact that cats are both beautiful and absurd.

Their natural beauty and majesty are eternally just one tiny slip away from total humiliation, and this precarious condition fills us with a sympathetic panic and delight, for it exactly mirrors our own.

[...]

The charm of cat videos crosses all boundaries of class, gender, and nationality. Of what other medium can this be said?

Cat videos are the ice cream of moving imagery, a lingua franca rivaling or perhaps even surpassing that of Disney cartoons or action movies almost universally understood and adored.

Those few impoverished souls who cannot yet find it in them to adore may seem to the rest to be suffering from an attack of biliousness from which one cannot help but hope they will soon recover.

[...]

Most of us get to know only a few cats intimately in real life [...]

But through cat videos, we admirers of cats can know any number of them intimately and recognise multitudes of others like ourselves in Japan and Russia and France and everywhere else.

The internet is home to millions of records of people just quietly at their best, sharing love and humour with a pet.

Here are serious philosophical implications that it would be foolish to discount.

It’s all too easy to see how the sad idea of a vengeful God has taken hold throughout human history, our perilous situation and the mysteries of the cosmos being what they are.

For if I were God, and I were to come back after a few millennia to see how the planet I had made was faring, and I found human beings had grown so senselessly cruel, so ignorant and destructive, and visited such ruin on their beautiful home, their fellow creatures, and on one another, I can well imagine wanting to smite them to pieces and send along a lot of frogs and locusts and boils and things to reckon with.

Maybe even wipe them out completely for making such a godawful mess.

But – even then – if, before I smote, I were to chance on a video of a cat riding placidly around on a Roomba?

Then I believe I would have to spare the human race, keep the jury out, give another chance: forced as I would be, in the face of this incontrovertible evidence, to conclude that there was something in us still worth saving.

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/2015091...e-internet

https://youtu.be/MVV_HXtEbLo

LoP Guest
lop guest
User ID: 322556
09-22-2015 09:25 PM

RE: How Cats Won the Internet
cats try to talk and copy human vocals when they meow . . . they noticed this results in them being fed by stupid humans so why not keep doing it . . .
LoP Guest
lop guest
User ID: 327112
09-22-2015 09:40 PM

BlackCat  Wrote: (09-22-2015 09:24 PM)
link to image: http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/wwfeatures/1280_...32tjhx.jpg

21 September 2015

The following is an essay called Hope Is the Thing with Fur by Maria Bustillos, from the book Cat Is Art Spelled Wrong:

I once dreamed I was a grey kitten of perhaps four months of age; in the best part, I jumped from a table onto the distant wooden floor.

The soft pads of my paws cushioned my landing in a deeply pleasurable and unexpected manner, and I found myself sashaying around and swishing my tail in contentment.

This dream (a favourite, and one I often relive in memory) demonstrated my long-held belief in the many superiorities of cats to humans.

The bodies of cats are exquisitely mobile; they can leap huge distances relative to their size; they are fast and alert and elegant; they have long, sensitive whiskers and delicate ears that can focus in any direction they choose.

They can purr, communicating a delight that reverberates through their whole bodies. They also sleep half the day! There’s so much to envy there. So much to admire.

[...]

Cat videos are the crystallisation of all that human beings love about cats, the crux of which is centred in the fact that cats are both beautiful and absurd.

Their natural beauty and majesty are eternally just one tiny slip away from total humiliation, and this precarious condition fills us with a sympathetic panic and delight, for it exactly mirrors our own.

[...]

The charm of cat videos crosses all boundaries of class, gender, and nationality. Of what other medium can this be said?

Cat videos are the ice cream of moving imagery, a lingua franca rivaling or perhaps even surpassing that of Disney cartoons or action movies almost universally understood and adored.

Those few impoverished souls who cannot yet find it in them to adore may seem to the rest to be suffering from an attack of biliousness from which one cannot help but hope they will soon recover.

[...]

But through cat videos, we admirers of cats can know any number of them intimately and recognise multitudes of others like ourselves in Japan and Russia and France and everywhere else.

The internet is home to millions of records of people just quietly at their best, sharing love and humour with a pet.

Here are serious philosophical implications that it would be foolish to discount.

It’s all too easy to see how the sad idea of a vengeful God has taken hold throughout human history, our perilous situation and the mysteries of the cosmos being what they are.

For if I were God, and I were to come back after a few millennia to see how the planet I had made was faring, and I found human beings had grown so senselessly cruel, so ignorant and destructive, and visited such ruin on their beautiful home, their fellow creatures, and on one another, I can well imagine wanting to smite them to pieces and send along a lot of frogs and locusts and boils and things to reckon with.

But – even then – if, before I smote, I were to chance on a video of a cat riding placidly around on a Roomba?

Then I believe I would have to spare the human race, keep the jury out, give another chance: forced as I would be, in the face of this incontrovertible evidence, to conclude that there was something in us still worth saving.

Screw the reptilians, Cats are next master of this earth.
Crazy Diamond
User ID: 250000
09-22-2015 09:41 PM

They haven't met mine, and I have the armored squirrel on backup. Plus about a half dozen loaded nerf dart guns.

Now if they would just stop lounging and sleeping on shoes we could get some serious play done.

Best way to mess with them: put their toys in a paper bag with catnip.
GreenAQ
Livin' a dream
User ID: 91168
09-22-2015 09:46 PM

BlackCat  Wrote: (09-22-2015 09:24 PM)
[Image: p032tjhx.jpg]

21 September 2015

[...]

[...]

[...]

katchen.tumblr.com
Natura Naturans
User ID: 288637
09-22-2015 09:46 PM

I just adopted my 6th cat. I live in a neighborhood where there are a lot of feral cats. Every once and a while one comes limping in that I end up taking care of. They are a nice bunch, but some are not completely human friendly after the hard life of the streets. If you adopt a cat, it's better for you if the cat was treated well as a kitten, then it will be more people friendly.

“The highest activity a human being can attain is learning for understanding, because to understand is to be free.” --Baruch Spinoza
wisc_girl
User ID: 295786
09-22-2015 09:50 PM

[Image: 5601b06eee838.jpg]

[Image: 5601b0c2b0dfc.gif]

The Deplorable Lunatic
User ID: 310076
09-22-2015 09:52 PM

im glad people take care of feral cats but i am tired of catshit in my garden

Jhikpghf
Crazy Diamond
09-22-2015 09:54 PM

Natura Naturans  Wrote: (09-22-2015 09:46 PM)
I just adopted my 6th cat. I live in a neighborhood where there are a lot of feral cats. Every once and a while one comes limping in that I end up taking care of. They are a nice bunch, but some are not completely human friendly after the hard life of the streets. If you adopt a cat, it's better for you if the cat was treated well as a kitten, then it will be more people friendly.

Thank you for taking care of the kittehs. Mine were adopted from a shelter. One still eats cardboard and toilet paper, after four years. He'll get over it. Do think it was part of his kittenhood and being in shelters before he came to stay with us, or now me, where he gets regular belly rubs.

Adopting feral cats is a huge challenge. My mom did it with two orange tabbies, which are notorious nut jobs by genetics.

A neighbor of mine adopted a stray, with a broken leg. I helped pay the vet bill.
BlackCat
User ID: 327281
09-22-2015 09:55 PM

the author  Wrote: (09-22-2015 09:41 PM)
They haven't met mine, and I have the armored squirrel on backup. Plus about a half dozen loaded nerf dart guns.

Now if they would just stop lounging and sleeping on shoes we could get some serious play done.

I had a weird thought the other day, ...what if we are reincarnated into the cats we took care of in this life? (or any pet for that matter)

just musing...
LoP Guest
lop guest
09-22-2015 09:56 PM

BlackCat  Wrote: (09-22-2015 09:55 PM)

I had a weird thought the other day, ...what if we are reincarnated into the cats we took care of in this life? (or any pet for that matter)

just musing...
do you mean your soul goes back in time to be in the body of your cat? cuz how can you and your cat right now have the same soul at the same time?
BlackCat
09-22-2015 10:01 PM

LoP Guest  Wrote: (09-22-2015 09:56 PM)

just musing...
do you mean your soul goes back in time to be in the body of your cat? cuz how can you and your cat right now have the same soul at the same time?

Yes. I believe in the eternity of each moment. Eternal recurrence. Perhaps you set up the reality for your next life while in this one?
LoP Guest
lop guest
09-22-2015 10:03 PM

BlackCat  Wrote: (09-22-2015 10:01 PM)
LoP Guest  Wrote: (09-22-2015 09:56 PM)

Yes. I believe in the eternity of each moment. Eternal recurrence. Perhaps you set up the reality for your next life while in this one?

could be . . . not gonna deny . . . big time atheist here . . . however I think it is quite possible time goes in reverse at the end of the universe . . . so you live your life again in reverse . . . that is similar to what you are saying here except you'd experience life as a cat with time going backwards . . . that might explain some of the quirks cats have. like they sometimes seem to know the future but can't remember the past.
Crazy Diamond
09-22-2015 10:06 PM

just musing...

That is a very good concept. I'd be happy to be reincarnated as any one of the six cats I've had the pleasure to care for.

I've always joked that they know all my secrets but will not give them away. Until I teach them how to write.

Nursed one through chronic renal failure. After that, I did not want to make another 20 year commitment. Well, I have. This time I'm not putting up with the kitteh drama. It's my rule or nothing. Maybe. Who am I kidding? Poop and miniPoop rule the house. I just borrow it from them.
BlackCat
09-22-2015 10:20 PM

the author  Wrote: (09-22-2015 10:06 PM)

just musing...

That is a very good concept. I'd be happy to be reincarnated as any one of the six cats I've had the pleasure to care for.

I've always joked that they know all my secrets but will not give them away. Until I teach them how to write.

Nursed one through chronic renal failure. After that, I did not want to make another 20 year commitment. Well, I have. This time I'm not putting up with the kitteh drama. It's my rule or nothing. Maybe. Who am I kidding? Poop and miniPoop rule the house. I just borrow it from them.

For about a year I had to stab my old 18 year old Maine ***** in the hide and give him the fluid treatments too... and I too had the same feeling that that's my last cat, no more.

But, as it turns out, as you know, cats find you.

My little black cat was the remaining survivor of a litter of 4 of an abandoned momma cat on the property here.

He's turned out to be an excellent cat! Heartflowers
Advertisement

Contact UsConspiracy Forum. No reg. required! Return to TopReturn to ContentRSS Syndication