News
news China's Chilling 'Social Credit System' Is Straight Out of Dystopian Sci-Fi
news UFO 'death ray' made Korean War GIs sick
news The Haunted States of America
news When the Supernatural Feeds on Us
news Russian space agency says space station hole was deliberate sabotage
news Biblical end of days prophecy COMES TRUE as fish swim again in Dead Sea
news 1950s Science Kit Had Real Uranium
news We're Probably Living in a Simulation, Elon Musk Says
news It’s Now Possible To Telepathically Communicate with a Drone Swarm
news New material to 'speed spacecraft to 134,000,000 mph'
news The future of food: what we’ll eat in 2028

Username:
Password: or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

race to the bottom : unions want teacher evaluations disconnected from test score
i like money
lop guest
User ID: 446199
10-12-2018 04:25 AM

teach race to the bottom : unions want teacher evaluations disconnected from test score
Advertisement
Teachers might have a longer waiting period before student test scores are used as a part of their evaluation.

"This is from Speaker Carl Heastie," Andy Pallotta, the President of NYSUT, said.

This Assembly bill announcement, Pallotta the president of the teacher's union is showing, would have separated student test scores from teacher evaluations. The bill did pass in the Assembly last year but failed in the Senate.

"We want to change the law once and for all and return to locals and local school districts control over their own evaluation process."

Right now, there is an existing moratorium through the 2019 to 2020 school year, giving the board of regents time to gather input from the community, before student test scores are used for teacher evaluations . New York Education Commissioner MaryEllen Elia says she might be asking for an extension on the moratorium if the legislature fails to act.

"We are starting to work to gather information from the people that are actually affected by that and that is our teachers. So they should be the designers of what would be a quality evaluation," Elia said.

https://www.localsyr.com/news/state-news...1517557835
Quote this message in a reply
LunaC
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
User ID: 441651
10-12-2018 04:27 AM

RE: race to the bottom : unions want teacher evaluations disconnected from test score
I think our politicians prefer suffocating them more. The Unions too, if they're being honest. But nobody is anymore.

Fléctere Si Néqueo Súperos Acheronta Movebo
LoP Guest
lop guest
10-12-2018 04:30 AM

RE: race to the bottom : unions want teacher evaluations disconnected from test score
LunaC  Wrote: (10-12-2018 04:27 AM)
I think our politicians prefer suffocating them more. The Unions too, if they're being honest. But nobody is anymore.

shouldnt teacher classification be based directly on student performance , at least in part?
LunaC
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
10-12-2018 04:37 AM

LoP Guest  Wrote: (10-12-2018 04:30 AM)

shouldnt teacher classification be based directly on student performance , at least in part?

Definitely but the system today is to convoluted with sh*t to make it reliable. Instead it actually works in reverse keeping sh*t teachers and losing the committed ones. Standardization and equalization of the curriculum have put so much structure into the lives of children that they have no interest in learning. Anyone under 30 in this forum knows public school is poison in the USA. They experienced it. That's not the collective shittiness of all the teachers. That's the rigidity of the administration eating away at their souls while their students chuckle and test their sanity daily. Saints.

KingBum
User ID: 465585
10-12-2018 04:39 AM

It should and is and this will be negotiated down, in fact it's probably just a bargaining chip, but there also has to be some understanding that child's schoolwork doesn't end in school, there's parental responsibility and hearing my girls mom that is gone.

Goodbye cruel world I'm off to join the circus.

Fitting in isn't about what you know, it's what you don't know that makes you a team player.
LoP Guest
lop guest
10-12-2018 04:41 AM

LunaC  Wrote: (10-12-2018 04:37 AM)

Definitely but the system today is to convoluted with sh*t to make it reliable. Instead it actually works in reverse keeping sh*t teachers and losing the committed ones. Standardization and equalization of the curriculum have put so much structure into the lives of children that they have no interest in learning. Anyone under 30 in this forum knows public school is poison in the USA. They experienced it. That's not the collective shittiness of all the teachers. That's the rigidity of the administration eating away at their souls while their students chuckle and test their sanity daily. Saints.

so if the standardization and rigidity doesnt work then whats the alternative? thinking about it for two seconds will lead you to the conclusion that making school looser and less standardized will either lead to MUCH more work for the teacher or some if not all the students being shafted on a proper learning experience.
LoP Guest
lop guest
10-12-2018 04:44 AM

KingBum  Wrote: (10-12-2018 04:39 AM)

It should and is and this will be negotiated down, in fact it's probably just a bargaining chip, but there also has to be some understanding that child's schoolwork doesn't end in school, there's parental responsibility and hearing my girls mom that is gone.

absolutely , but there is no social or legal requirement for parents to teach their children anything so inevitably there will be kids who get the short end of the stick in this respect.
LunaC
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
10-12-2018 04:49 AM

LoP Guest  Wrote: (10-12-2018 04:41 AM)
so if the standardization and rigidity doesnt work then whats the alternative? thinking about it for two seconds will lead you to the conclusion that making school looser and less standardized will either lead to MUCH more work for the teacher or some if not all the students being shafted on a proper learning experience.

No, education has no answer you'll get from me. I already stated, it's too convoluted. But children don't learn on schedule. They observe the world, they ask why, and we tell them. Informal is how we learn best, guided by curiosity with a moderator/teacher that guides that inquisitive mind to higher truths. You can't do that with 30 kids in front of you. The world needs to find new solutions because we don't have time for anyone but the government to raise our children.

(This post was last modified: 10-12-2018 04:49 AM by LunaC.) Quote this message in a reply
LoP Guest
lop guest
10-12-2018 04:53 AM

LunaC  Wrote: (10-12-2018 04:49 AM)
LoP Guest  Wrote: (10-12-2018 04:41 AM)

No, education has no answer you'll get from me. I already stated, it's too convoluted. But children don't learn on schedule. They observe the world, they ask why, and we tell them. Informal is how we learn best, guided by curiosity with a moderator/teacher that guides that inquisitive mind to higher truths. You can't do that with 30 kids in front of you. The world needs to find new solutions because we don't have time for anyone but the government to raise our children.

how about technology being a solution. a program on a tablet can determine a childs aptitudes and knowlege based on the inputs elicited from prompts and tailor a curriculum from there ?
LunaC
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
10-12-2018 04:56 AM

LoP Guest  Wrote: (10-12-2018 04:53 AM)
how about technology being a solution. a program on a tablet can determine a childs aptitudes and knowlege based on the inputs elicited from prompts and tailor a curriculum from there ?

That's my thought as well. I don't think anyone is doing it right though. The mind is too abstract and no algorithm I've seen could ensure a uniform potential for learning.

(This post was last modified: 10-12-2018 04:56 AM by LunaC.) Quote this message in a reply
LoP Guest
lop guest
10-12-2018 05:01 AM

LunaC  Wrote: (10-12-2018 04:56 AM)
LoP Guest  Wrote: (10-12-2018 04:53 AM)

That's my thought as well. I don't think anyone is doing it right though. The mind is too abstract and no algorithm I've seen could ensure a uniform potential for learning.

it will likely be a combination of the above as well as hands on teacher interventions. insuring a functional program while reducing overwork to teachers and distributing help to all pupils .
LunaC
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
10-12-2018 05:05 AM

LoP Guest  Wrote: (10-12-2018 05:01 AM)
LunaC  Wrote: (10-12-2018 04:56 AM)

it will likely be a combination of the above as well as hands on teacher interventions. insuring a functional program while reducing overwork to teachers and distributing help to all pupils .

In an ideal world. Ours rarely is.

LoP Guest
lop guest
10-12-2018 05:08 AM

LunaC  Wrote: (10-12-2018 05:05 AM)
LoP Guest  Wrote: (10-12-2018 05:01 AM)

i dont see a reason why this cant become a reality if and when the programs become good enough . this includes the interfaces being intuitive enough for student and teacher to navigate with ease.
LunaC
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
10-12-2018 05:14 AM

LoP Guest  Wrote: (10-12-2018 05:08 AM)
LunaC  Wrote: (10-12-2018 05:05 AM)

i dont see a reason why this cant become a reality if and when the programs become good enough . this includes the interfaces being intuitive enough for student and teacher to navigate with ease.

For the same reason everything is f**ked. Politics and money. Neither are wrong but both are now misguided by self-interest and partisanship in the modern age in a hyper-inflated way. Like everything. There is no initiative to increase the intelligence of the masses and increase competition for intellectual propriety.

LoP Guest
lop guest
10-12-2018 05:18 AM

LunaC  Wrote: (10-12-2018 05:14 AM)
LoP Guest  Wrote: (10-12-2018 05:08 AM)

For the same reason everything is f**ked. Politics and money. Neither are wrong but both are now misguided by self-interest and partisanship in the modern age in a hyper-inflated way. Like everything. There is no initiative to increase the intelligence of the masses and increase competition for intellectual propriety.

thats pretty cynical even if it may be true , regardless i prefer to look on the sunny side . incentivizing properly educating children whatever may be the reward for political or business interests should at least be entertained.
Advertisement

Contact UsConspiracy Forum. No reg. required! Return to TopReturn to ContentRSS Syndication