News
news The great thaw of America's north is coming
news 3 Weird Impacts From Storm Ophelia Explained
news A Look Back at the McMinnville UFO Photos
news Chinese Space Station to Crash to Earth Soon
news An Eerie Anniversary: October 1987
news Shadow People On The Loose
news A mysterious hole nearly the size of South Carolina has opened in Antarctica's ice
news A Case for Time Travelers
news Floating Wind Farms in the North Atlantic Could Power the World
news UFO' spotted over Yellowstone volcano?
news Is A.I. Going Too Far?

Username:
Password: or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average

In Russia it's officially illegal to be a Jehovah's Witness
Sing-I'llSway
User ID: 375542
04-21-2017 04:55 AM

In Russia it's officially illegal to be a Jehovah's Witness
Advertisement
Not that I'm a big fan of having people knock and then proselytize to me on my front door, but still. It's kind of a dick move to ban them:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/20/world...esses.html

Russia's Supreme Court has deemed them "an extremist group". Which is...so silly. I'd say they're definitely extremely irritating, but an "extremist group"...? Given the context we all know that implies...?

All in all, it's simply disgusting. Any attempt, by the state or anyone, to prevent individuals from practicing any faith they choose is a devolved assault not just on personal liberty but civilization itself. We HAVE TO allow each other to worship as we individually choose. Regardless.

from the article:
"Jehovah’s Witnesses shuns political activity and has no record of even peaceful — never mind violent — hostility to the Russian authorities. But it has faced growing hostility from the state since President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia began his third term in 2012 and put the Orthodox Church at the center of his push to assert Russia as a great military and moral power."

It reminds me of Nazi hostility to Catholics during World War 2.

Basically the Nazis were DEEPLY suspicious of Catholics since the headquarters of the church is Rome. Fascism dictates TOTAL loyalty to the state. But Catholics living under the purview of the Third Reich were considered POTENTIALLY harboring dual loyalties:

Third Reich/Rome
Adolf Hitler/Pope Pius the 12th

As a result many Catholics suffered and many priests in particular were outright murdered.

It seems Russia isn't crazy about the fact that Jehovah's Witnesses practice a faith headquartered in the United States. The kind of thing that, unfortunately, seems to keep repressive dictators awake at night.

"You're going straight to hell."

-Lin-Manuel Miranda, in a courageous, justified tweet to Donald Trump, President of the United States of America, in the wake of his foul attack on the mayor of a city devastated by a natural disaster where American citizens are dying
Quote this message in a reply

Uppity Me
User ID: 414500
04-21-2017 04:59 AM

RE: In Russia it's officially illegal to be a Jehovah's Witness
they believe in personal freedom there

Quote:Les pauvres n'ont-ils des Euros ?
Alors laissez les pauvres 'sh*t' dans les rues
LoP Guest
lop guest
User ID: 365055
04-21-2017 05:02 AM

JW's are not permitted to serve in the military. This could be the problem.
flatland
ifixit
User ID: 398885
04-21-2017 05:35 AM

they're sticky like glue and have lawyers up the wazoo
Sing-I'llSway
04-21-2017 05:38 AM

Uppity Me  Wrote: (04-21-2017 04:59 AM)
they believe in personal freedom there

Um...no they don't.

-Lin-Manuel Miranda, in a courageous, justified tweet to Donald Trump, President of the United States of America, in the wake of his foul attack on the mayor of a city devastated by a natural disaster where American citizens are dying
Sing-I'llSway
04-21-2017 05:46 AM

LoP Guest  Wrote: (04-21-2017 05:02 AM)

I'm assuming you mean Russia?

Granted, there's only 175,000 Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia. Considering many of them are likely women and children and old men, that leaves a fraction of whom would be considered fit for military service.

Russia's military has 771,000 active personnel along with almost 2.5 million reservists.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Armed_Forces

So my guess is Russia's getting along well enough without the sure-handed contributions of its Jehovah's Witnesses. I can't imagine it'd be such an issue that Putin would have no other choice but to ban the entire faith outright.

Although personally, whatever the reasons, I find Russia's decision abhorrent.

If I'm a guy who decides I want to be a Jehovah's Witness...I should be allowed to be a Jehovah's Witness. It's that simple. What right does anyone have to say I can't...?

It's my strong opinion that preventing an individual from enjoying the freedom to practice whatever faith he/she chooses is barbaric.

Sing-I'llSway
04-21-2017 05:50 AM

flatland  Wrote: (04-21-2017 05:35 AM)

And the turtles, of course... all the turtles are free
As turtles and, maybe, all creatures should be.

flatland
ifixit
User ID: 398885
04-21-2017 05:56 AM

Sing-IllSway  Wrote: (04-21-2017 05:50 AM)
flatland  Wrote: (04-21-2017 05:35 AM)

thats catchy! kind of Loraxian
Isabella
User ID: 397945
04-21-2017 06:04 AM

In the US many went to jail for refusing to serve in the military during war time.

LoP Guest
lop guest
User ID: 414853
04-21-2017 06:19 AM

Isabella  Wrote: (04-21-2017 06:04 AM)

In the US many went to jail for refusing to serve in the military during war time.

Yep and they were the only true heroesJhikpghf
Sing-I'llSway
04-21-2017 06:26 AM

flatland  Wrote: (04-21-2017 05:56 AM)
Sing-IllSway  Wrote: (04-21-2017 05:50 AM)

thats catchy! kind of Loraxian

Good call. Gotta give credit where credit is due- it actually IS Dr. Seuss. Specifically from "Yertle the Turtle".

I thought your post sounded Seuss-esque, so I decided I'd respond similarly. I jogged over to Wikiquote and did a quick scan of his work.

Amazingly that quote ^^^^^ seemed to thematically match the subject of the thread, so in it went.

Sing-I'llSway
04-21-2017 06:34 AM

One of my favorite Golden Age Hollywood films is Howard Hawks' "Sergeant York", with Gary Cooper playing Medal of Honor recipient Alvin York.

York started out as a conscientious objector during World War 1. He was drafted but told the higher-ups he wasn't going to fight. Eventually he had a change of heart and proved himself, for better or worse, thanks to his skills with a rifle learned growing up on a farm in rural Tennessee, to be quite an efficient killer.

It's a surprisingly complicated story, and though the film is admittedly blatant propaganda (it was made at the start of World War 2), it's brilliant and in my opinion still holds up well.

The sequence of Gary Cooper cutting down German-after-German is, especially for its time, rather disturbing.

Sing-I'llSway
04-21-2017 06:35 AM

LoP Guest  Wrote: (04-21-2017 06:19 AM)

Yep and they were the only true heroesJhikpghf

I don't know about the only heroes...but I respect very much them holding true to their principles. Admirable.

LoP Guest
lop guest
User ID: 396838
04-21-2017 06:45 AM

Huh. Everyone here was loving Russia and Putin five minutes ago. Lol.
Sing-I'llSway
04-21-2017 06:55 AM

LoP Guest  Wrote: (04-21-2017 06:45 AM)
Huh. Everyone here was loving Russia and Putin five minutes ago. Lol.

I've never understood why Russia is so "popular" with certain factions of this forum.

Most of them are the same people who run around with their fingers in their hair hyper-ventilating over what they perceive to be "fake news" in the American press.

Meanwhile Russia HAS actually combined their government and popular news broadcasting into an entity known as RT and none of them seem to give a sh*t.

lol...seriously, to me, it's one of the true mysteries of this place.

Plus, add in Russia's blatant, shameless persecution of their LGBT-citizens and it's like, lol...what the hell is wrong with you people?

I'm not sure if many users of this forum simply don't know these things about Russia. Or they know but don't care. Or they think these things are "fake news" because they're reported in the "msm". Or whatever. Who knows.

f*ckin' Russia...

It's all actually a big part of the reason I'm not on this forum regularly anymore. I only post about one night a week now because, frankly, it gets boring here. Being knee-deep in fundamentalist ideologues gets old fast.

(This post was last modified: 04-21-2017 06:56 AM by Sing-I'llSway.) Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Contact UsConspiracy Forum. No reg. required! Return to TopReturn to ContentRSS Syndication