News
news The Mystery of the Belmez Faces
news NASA to test ‘space lasers’ with latest launch
news Satellite Images Of Strange Lost City in the South Pacific
news Do Aliens Come From Under the Oceans?
news Bizarre Paranormal Mysteries of World War I
news Human brains and bodies could be hacked to create life in hostile environments
news Nuke fallout alert as Russian radioactive leak sweeps across Europe
news Russian, 20, claims he lived on the Red Planet before being reborn on Earth
news Government Files and the Abominable Snowman
news Mind-Controlled Drone Swarms Could Soon Put More Eyes in the Sky
news How America’s National Parks Became Hotbeds of Paranormal Activity

Username:
Password: or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Today I Learned... TIL
Cattle Crooner
lop guest
User ID: 422547
07-16-2017 09:33 AM

teach Today I Learned... TIL
Advertisement
TIL that some people pay $700-800 dollars for their phones!

Jptdknpa
Quote this message in a reply

AtomIcarus
Subscriber
User ID: 390729
07-16-2017 09:44 AM

RE: Today I Learned... TIL
Today I learned about the Tardigrade and what they eat. Did you know they are cannibals and they will probably survive until the end of the world?

From Wikipedia: Individual species of tardigrades can survive extreme conditions that would be rapidly fatal to nearly all other known life forms, including complete global mass extinction events due to astrophysical events, such as supernovae, gamma-ray bursts, large asteroid impacts, or passing-by stars.[10][11] Some tardigrades can withstand temperatures down to 1 K (−458 °F; −272 °C) (close to absolute zero) while others can withstand 420 K (300 °F; 150 °C)[12] for several minutes, pressures about six times greater than those found in the deepest ocean trenches, ionizing radiation at doses hundreds of times higher than the lethal dose for a human, and the vacuum of outer space.[13] They can go without food or water for more than 30 years, drying out to the point where they are 3% or less water, only to rehydrate, forage, and reproduce.[3][14][15][16] Tardigrades, living in harsh conditions, undergo an annual process of cyclomorphosis.

[Image: giphy.gif]

If there was ever life on other planets, chances are they still have organisms like the Tardigrade because of their ability to adapt to extreme conditions.

The biggest adults may reach a body length of 1.5 mm (0.059 in), the smallest below 0.1 mm. Newly hatched tardigrades may be smaller than 0.05 mm.

So long, LOP! And thanks for all the fish. $200 reward offered! http://lunaticoutpost.com/thread-788432.html

Thread: For the one I've always loved.
Includes all of my writing, my free book, and many of my paranormal experiences.
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2017 10:32 AM by AtomIcarus.) Quote this message in a reply
chicken little
lop guest
User ID: 300391
07-16-2017 09:47 AM

AtomIcarus  Wrote: (07-16-2017 09:44 AM)
Today I learned about the Tardigrade and what they eat. Did you know they are cannibals and they will probably survive until the end of the world?

From Wikipedia: Individual species of tardigrades can survive extreme conditions that would be rapidly fatal to nearly all other known life forms, including complete global mass extinction events due to astrophysical events, such as supernovae, gamma-ray bursts, large asteroid impacts, or passing-by stars.[10][11] Some tardigrades can withstand temperatures down to 1 K (−458 °F; −272 °C) (close to absolute zero) while others can withstand 420 K (300 °F; 150 °C)[12] for several minutes, pressures about six times greater than those found in the deepest ocean trenches, ionizing radiation at doses hundreds of times higher than the lethal dose for a human, and the vacuum of outer space.[13] They can go without food or water for more than 30 years, drying out to the point where they are 3% or less water, only to rehydrate, forage, and reproduce.[3][14][15][16] Tardigrades, living in harsh conditions, undergo an annual process of cyclomorphosis.

If there was ever life on other planets, chances are they still have organisms like the Tardigrade because of their ability to adapt to extreme conditions.

Ewww..thats hypoleach...hippottamus with leach mouth!
AtomIcarus
Subscriber
07-16-2017 09:49 AM

chicken little  Wrote: (07-16-2017 09:47 AM)

[Image: 120815_ti_tardigrade_free.jpg]

They are also known as water bears, space bears, or moss piglets.

So long, LOP! And thanks for all the fish. $200 reward offered! http://lunaticoutpost.com/thread-788432.html

Includes all of my writing, my free book, and many of my paranormal experiences.
LoP Guest
lop guest
User ID: 420188
07-16-2017 09:53 AM

Cattle Crooner  Wrote: (07-16-2017 09:33 AM)
TIL that some people pay $700-800 dollars for their phones!

Jptdknpa

Old Stan was saying that you'd say "useless eaters that's our loosh!" He's right you know.
LoP Guest
lop guest
07-16-2017 09:55 AM

link to image: https://media.giphy.com/media/lboFmA8xFIaAg/giphy.gif

They are awesome and remind me of a very resilient creature, the naked mole rat.

Naked mole-rat
The naked mole-rat (Heterocephalus glaber), also known as the sand puppy[2] or desert mole rat, is a burrowing rodent closely related to the blesmols, native to parts of East Africa, and is the only species currently classified in the genus Heterocephalus.[3] The genus is classified as being in the family Bathyergidae or in its own family, Heterocephalidae. The naked mole-rat, the Damaraland mole-rat,[4] and Mechow's mole-rat[citation needed] are eusocial mammals, the highest classification of sociality. It has a highly unusual set of physical traits that enable it to thrive in an otherwise harsh underground environment; it is the only mammalian thermoconformer, almost entirely ectothermic (cold-blooded) in how it regulates body temperature.[5]

Naked mole-rat
Temporal range: Early Pliocene - Recent
Nacktmull.jpg
Conservation status

The mole rat lacks pain sensitivity in its skin, and has very low metabolic and respiratory rates. While formerly considered to belong to the same family as other African mole-rats, the Bathyergidae, more recent investigation places the naked mole-rat in a separate family, Heterocephalidae.[6][7][8] The mole rat is also remarkable for its longevity and its resistance to cancer and oxygen deprivation.

AtomIcarus
Subscriber
07-16-2017 09:56 AM

LoP Guest  Wrote: (07-16-2017 09:55 AM)

link to image: https://media.giphy.com/media/lboFmA8xFIaAg/giphy.gif

They are awesome and remind me of a very resilient creature, the naked mole rat.

Naked mole-rat
The naked mole-rat (Heterocephalus glaber), also known as the sand puppy[2] or desert mole rat, is a burrowing rodent closely related to the blesmols, native to parts of East Africa, and is the only species currently classified in the genus Heterocephalus.[3] The genus is classified as being in the family Bathyergidae or in its own family, Heterocephalidae. The naked mole-rat, the Damaraland mole-rat,[4] and Mechow's mole-rat[citation needed] are eusocial mammals, the highest classification of sociality. It has a highly unusual set of physical traits that enable it to thrive in an otherwise harsh underground environment; it is the only mammalian thermoconformer, almost entirely ectothermic (cold-blooded) in how it regulates body temperature.[5]

Naked mole-rat
Temporal range: Early Pliocene - Recent
Nacktmull.jpg
Conservation status

The mole rat lacks pain sensitivity in its skin, and has very low metabolic and respiratory rates. While formerly considered to belong to the same family as other African mole-rats, the Bathyergidae, more recent investigation places the naked mole-rat in a separate family, Heterocephalidae.[6][7][8] The mole rat is also remarkable for its longevity and its resistance to cancer and oxygen deprivation.

Cool! I learned something else today. Watching the video now.

LoP Guest
lop guest
07-16-2017 10:00 AM

NMR survive without oxygen for 18 minutes

Naked mole-rats turn into plants when oxygen is low
Discovery could lead to treatments for heart attack, stroke

UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS AT CHICAGO

SHARE PRINT E-MAIL

VIDEO: THE NAKED MOLE-RAT -- A COLD-BLOODED MAMMAL THAT CAN LIVE TO 30, RARELY GETS CANCER, AND DOESN'T FEEL PAIN -- METABOLIZES LIKE A PLANT WHEN OXYGEN IS LOW. view more

CREDIT: UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS AT CHICAGO

Deprived of oxygen, naked mole-rats can survive by metabolizing fructose just as plants do, researchers report this week in the journal Science.

Understanding how the animals do this could lead to treatments for patients suffering crises of oxygen deprivation, as in heart attacks and strokes.

"This is just the latest remarkable discovery about the naked mole-rat -- a cold-blooded mammal that lives decades longer than other rodents, rarely gets cancer, and doesn't feel many types of pain," says Thomas Park, professor of biological sciences at the University of Illinois at Chicago, who led an international team of researchers from UIC, the Max Delbrück Institute in Berlin and the University of Pretoria in South Africa on the study.

In humans, laboratory mice, and all other known mammals, when brain cells are starved of oxygen they run out of energy and begin to die.

But naked mole-rats have a backup: their brain cells start burning fructose, which produces energy anaerobically through a metabolic pathway that is only used by plants - or so scientists thought.

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/...041417.php
LoP Guest
lop guest
07-16-2017 10:02 AM

TIL That Samsung refuses to disclose how they chose the name for their intelligence technology and new voice assistant.
LoP Guest
lop guest
User ID: 140620
07-16-2017 10:03 AM

AtomIcarus  Wrote: (07-16-2017 09:49 AM)
chicken little  Wrote: (07-16-2017 09:47 AM)

link to image: https://www.sciencenews.org/sites/defaul...e_free.jpg

They are also known as water bears, space bears, or moss piglets.

Yuck. Those things are grotesque. Would love to squish them with my index finger and thumb, but they would probably be able to easily dodge my fingerprint grooves. Sick f*cks.
LoP Guest
lop guest
07-16-2017 10:18 AM

TIL A highschool friend was a member of the underwater team on the Amelia Earhart search expedition.

He was on my TV screen piloting the ROV on the science channel. I was like whoa that looks like someone I know.

Google search confirmed it!

He also ran the underwater search for the missing Malaysia plane.
AtomIcarus
Subscriber
07-16-2017 10:22 AM

TIL of Google's Dead Man's Switch.

It will notify anyone you set up by e-mail in the event that you should die. (If you don't check your Gmail account in three months, and you also don't respond to a telephone message, it will send out your customized e-mail to your list.)

(This post was last modified: 07-16-2017 10:24 AM by AtomIcarus.) Quote this message in a reply
LoP Guest
lop guest
07-16-2017 10:30 AM

AtomIcarus  Wrote: (07-16-2017 10:22 AM)

It will notify anyone you set up by e-mail in the event that you should die. (If you don't check your Gmail account in three months, and you also don't respond to a telephone message, it will send out your customized e-mail to your list.)

Cool I didn't know it was an option supported by Google. Three months? That's funny, I just got a prank idea. doomed
PinBall Machine
lop guest
User ID: 413229
07-16-2017 10:43 AM

"Do NOT Tilt"
AtomIcarus
Subscriber
07-16-2017 10:47 AM

LoP Guest  Wrote: (07-16-2017 10:30 AM)
AtomIcarus  Wrote: (07-16-2017 10:22 AM)

Cool I didn't know it was an option supported by Google. Three months? That's funny, I just got a prank idea. doomed

What kind of prank?

Advertisement

Contact UsConspiracy Forum. No reg. required! Return to TopReturn to ContentRSS Syndication