news How wearable tech is giving people a sixth sense
news You Won't Feel It When the Eclipse Burns Your Eyeballs
news Mobile Moss Structures Can Filter Our Dirty City Air
news Afraid of the Dark? Why Eclipses Frightened Ancient Civilizations
news The Inside Story of Disney’s Mythic UFO Documentary and Conference
news Antarctica is home to considerably more volcanoes than previously thought
news Who Is Doing This? Global Wave of Animal Mutilations Defies Explanation
news New device can heal with a single touch, and even repair brain injuries
news East Field Farmer's Wife Remembers Wiltshire Crop Circles in the 1940s and 50s
news The ghostly radio station that no one claims to run

Username:
Password: or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Any way to fight a ticket for rear ending someone?
King Doom
All Hail the King!
User ID: 409405
08-13-2017 12:13 AM

Any way to fight a ticket for rear ending someone?
Advertisement
No injury to me or the other party, but $200 fine for "failure to maintain control".

I was on the interstate, traffic slowed to a crawl.

Someone came up close behind me, so I could not slow down to give myself more room to the car ahead of me, and it slowed down as well, effectively boxing me in.

The traffic came to a stop, then started moving, I started moving my car to about 10mph, when all of a sudden the car ahead of me slammed on it's brakes.

I had about 1/2 second to react. I slammed on my brakes, but the "boxed in" condition gave me less than normal stopping distance, and even though I slammed on my brakes, it was not enough distance and I rear-ended the other car.

I think the "failure to maintain control" ticket is BS because:

1. Car came up behind me, boxing me in from the rear.
2. Car ahead of me decelerated rapidly, boxing me in from the front.
3. I could not increase my distance between myself and the car in front due to this.

01001100 01101111 01101100
Quote this message in a reply

President Camacho
Water? Like from the toilet?
User ID: 396849
08-13-2017 12:16 AM

RE: Any way to fight a ticket for rear ending someone?
Nope. I rear ended someone going about 2 mph at a stoplight because I let my foot of the brake a little and was looking to the right out my window. I got a careless driving ticket that was about the same as yours. No way out of it. Just pay up and move on.

Paid for by Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator.
(This post was last modified: 08-13-2017 12:17 AM by President Camacho.) Quote this message in a reply
King Doom
All Hail the King!
User ID: 409405
08-13-2017 12:17 AM

President Camacho  Wrote: (08-13-2017 12:16 AM)
Nope. I rear ended someone going about 2 mph at a stoplight because I let my foot of the brake a little and was looking to the right out my window. I got a careless driving ticket that was about the same as yours. No way out of it. Just pay up and move on.

Not so much the fine I'm worried about, but the increase in insurance premiums.

01001100 01101111 01101100
President Camacho
08-13-2017 12:21 AM

King Doom  Wrote: (08-13-2017 12:17 AM)
President Camacho  Wrote: (08-13-2017 12:16 AM)

Not so much the fine I'm worried about, but the increase in insurance premiums.

I hear ya man. I don't get how insurance is supposed to protect you from the full bill of something if they're just going to increase premiums. They plan on getting the money out of you either way. It's a scam. There was no damage in my instance either. Not even a scuff on their bumper.

Fire of Prometheus
User ID: 423816
08-13-2017 12:27 AM

King Doom  Wrote: (08-13-2017 12:13 AM)
No injury to me or the other party, but $200 fine for "failure to maintain control".

Someone came up close behind me, so I could not slow down to give myself more room to the car ahead of me, and it slowed down as well, effectively boxing me in.

The traffic came to a stop, then started moving, I started moving my car to about 10mph, when all of a sudden the car ahead of me slammed on it's brakes.

I had about 1/2 second to react. I slammed on my brakes, but the "boxed in" condition gave me less than normal stopping distance, and even though I slammed on my brakes, it was not enough distance and I rear-ended the other car.

3. I could not increase my distance between myself and the car in front due to this.

In Ohio the charge is unsure clear distance.
Failure to control is the result of going off the road, into a different lane etc.
Unsure clear distance works for sideswipes and rear ends.
Sliding off the lane, missing a curve, hitting a telephone pole etc. is failure to control.
The price is the same small fine, higher insurance rates.
LoP Guest
lop guest
User ID: 427413
08-13-2017 12:28 AM

By your own admission, you were at fault.
There is no way in hell that you can fight this and win.
Perhaps next time you will follow at a safe distance and pay attention.
LoP Guest
lop guest
User ID: 401589
08-13-2017 12:29 AM

Go to http://www.avvo.com and find a traffic lawyer in your area.

https://www.avvo.com/speeding-traffic-ti...awyer.html

Even if you're at fault, an experienced traffic lawyer can negotiate better than you in court and get your charges reduced.

I got caught in a traffic sting for failing to stop for a pedestrian (was an undercover cop - they nailed about 50 people that day) and a traffic lawyer got it reduced to an unsafe tire violation. I can't remember what the fine was exactly but it was less than $100 and no points on my license. The lawyer cost about $300. I didn't even have to show up to court. He took care of everything. IMO he was worth it.

I learned a lesson though. If I see a pedestrian standing at a curb waiting to cross, I do my best to stop and let them go by.
/ ! 446
User ID: 220064
08-13-2017 12:30 AM

Nope....more then likely you are going to lose,you were following to close...live and learn.Jhikpghf
LoP Guest
lop guest
User ID: 410912
08-13-2017 12:30 AM

If the vehicle you hit had brakelights, it was completely your fault.
LoP Guest
lop guest
User ID: 427376
08-13-2017 12:31 AM

Wait your entire argument is that the guy behind you is responsible for your rear ending the car in front of you. You'r not very bright are you op.
Fire of Prometheus
User ID: 409276
08-13-2017 12:32 AM

Fire of Prometheus  Wrote: (08-13-2017 12:27 AM)
King Doom  Wrote: (08-13-2017 12:13 AM)

Failure to control is the result of going off the road, into a different lane etc.
Sliding off the lane, missing a curve, hitting a telephone pole etc. is failure to control.

But to be fair, speed related, reckless operation related citations do a lot more to your insurance, improper backing related tickets hardly effects insurance rates.
The great thing about improper backing is it usually occurs on private property so you don't even get a ticket.
The bad thing is when backing in a parking lot and you back into someone who is going the wrong way (opposite of marked traffic arrows on ground and signs) you are still responsible 70% of damages here....
LoP Guest
lop guest
08-13-2017 12:33 AM

What state are you in? If you're in NY give Zef Goldstein a call. He's the lawyer that helped me out with my ticket years ago.

http://www.zevgoldsteinlaw.com

Awesome guy. Very knowledgeable and easy to work with. I always heard lawyers were so expensive but his price is fair.

The $300 I paid him was less than what I could have ended up paying for my ticket.
LoP Guest
lop guest
08-13-2017 12:38 AM

Fire of Prometheus  Wrote: (08-13-2017 12:32 AM)
Fire of Prometheus  Wrote: (08-13-2017 12:27 AM)

But to be fair, speed related, reckless operation related citations do a lot more to your insurance, improper backing related tickets hardly effects insurance rates.
The great thing about improper backing is it usually occurs on private property so you don't even get a ticket.
The bad thing is when backing in a parking lot and you back into someone who is going the wrong way (opposite of marked traffic arrows on ground and signs) you are still responsible 70% of damages here....

The Wal-Mart I go to has these stupid slanted parking spots. They claim that doing it this way gives more spaces in less room, but I don't believe that for a second. It's basic geometry that since parking spaces are rectangular then keeping them at flat 90 degree angles saves the most space.

Thing is, the spaces slant the wrong way from the arrows in the lanes. So when I pull out, I have to do an extra wide turn. Not a big deal, but I've had other drivers honk at me for doing this. I don't understand why??? I'm driving the same way as the arrows!
LoP Guest
lop guest
User ID: 408339

Hitting another car in the rear is always the fault of the driver that hit the car. It's one of the "givens" of driving.
President Camacho

LoP Guest  Wrote: (08-13-2017 12:33 AM)
What state are you in? If you're in NY give Zef Goldstein a call. He's the lawyer that helped me out with my ticket years ago.

http://www.zevgoldsteinlaw.com

Awesome guy. Very knowledgeable and easy to work with. I always heard lawyers were so expensive but his price is fair.

The $300 I paid him was less than what I could have ended up paying for my ticket.

The only way you can do better than getting a lawyer is getting a lawyer with a Jewish last name. Good call.

Advertisement

Contact UsConspiracy Forum. No reg. required! Return to TopReturn to ContentRSS Syndication