News
news The Mystery of the Belmez Faces
news NASA to test ‘space lasers’ with latest launch
news Satellite Images Of Strange Lost City in the South Pacific
news Do Aliens Come From Under the Oceans?
news Bizarre Paranormal Mysteries of World War I
news Human brains and bodies could be hacked to create life in hostile environments
news Nuke fallout alert as Russian radioactive leak sweeps across Europe
news Russian, 20, claims he lived on the Red Planet before being reborn on Earth
news Government Files and the Abominable Snowman
news Mind-Controlled Drone Swarms Could Soon Put More Eyes in the Sky
news How America’s National Parks Became Hotbeds of Paranormal Activity

Username:
Password: or Register

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2 Average

Reddit ban on white nationalist, fat-shamming led to dramatic drop in hate speech
He Man
Subscriber: Goat Monkey wannbe
User ID: 426188
09-12-2017 07:22 PM

kickit Reddit ban on white nationalist, fat-shamming led to dramatic drop in hate speech
Advertisement
I wonder if this would work at LOP?

Cheer Cheer BAN WHITE NATIONALISTS Cheer Cheer

Reddit ban on white nationalist, fat-shamming channels led to dramatic drop in hate speech

"As one of the largest and best known web forums, Reddit has become a sanctuary for people with all sorts of unsavory views, including white nationalists and the so-called "alt-right." But the platform where a section of users have proliferated anti-Semitic memes and creepshots has taken action to clean up some of the hate speech by closing down several subreddits or, and it is working, according to a new study.

The “front page of the Internet” is used by 172 million people every month and it has attracted criticism in the past for not working to remove certain inappropriate content. “We will not ban questionable subreddits,” the company’s then CEO Yishan Wong wrote in 2015. “You choose what to post. You choose what to read. You choose what kind of subreddit to create.”

The site performed a U-turn in the same year, banning some of the subreddits where some of the most toxic content was being shared, including r/coontown and r/fatpeoplehate. There was a belief among some that suspending the channels would only push the users posting hate speech elsewhere.

But, for those who stayed on Reddit, hate speech actually dropped significantly after the ban of the two channels, as much as 80 to 90 percent for some users, researchers at the Georgia Institute of Technology, Emory University and University of Michigan found.

They took more than 100 million posts from the two Reddit channels, one white supremacist board, the other a fat-shaming board. They then measured the hate on those channels and then tracked where the users went and what they posted in different channels.

Many of the members of the banned communities left Reddit altogether, while others migrated to similar subreddits with other racist or offensive content. But hate speech did not rise significantly in the channels they moved to, with only slight bumps noticed.

“For the banned community users that remained active, the ban drastically reduced the amount of hate speech they used across Reddit by a large and significant amount,” the study said.

“Following the ban, Reddit saw a 90.63 percent decrease in the usage of manually filtered hate words by r/fatpeoplehate users, and a 81.08 percent decrease in the usage of manually filtered hate words by r/CoonTown users,” it found.

The researchers estimated that the suspension of those channels, at least in the short-term, was a success. Those who remained on the site were unable to set up duplicate channels, and the moderators who presided over the channels they moved to had the ability to control the hate speech and impose their rules.""

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/09/reddit-b...te-speech/

Making LOP Great again since 06-07-2013!

[Image: t04em3z.jpg]
Russian President Vladimir Putin presented Tillerson with the Order of Friendship.

It's a great year for kleptocratic regimes, oligarchies, plutocracies and autocratic hell holes.
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2017 07:23 PM by He Man.) Quote this message in a reply

LoP Guest
lop guest
User ID: 388129
09-12-2017 07:29 PM

RE: Reddit ban on white nationalist, fat-shamming led to dramatic drop in hate speech
Herman loves censorship.
I for one am shocked.
Post you little "first they came for" poem now idiot.
Then wait until they start banning shareblue/CTR shills.
Quote this message in a reply
dig
User ID: 410064
09-12-2017 07:30 PM

RE: Reddit ban on white nationalist, fat-shamming led to dramatic drop in hate speech
Reddit, the internets very own cesspool.

LoP Guest
lop guest
User ID: 428910
09-12-2017 07:31 PM

Danceswithzombies  Wrote: (09-12-2017 07:30 PM)

Go back to Stormfront you far-right bigot
LoP Guest
lop guest
09-12-2017 07:33 PM

LoP Guest  Wrote: (09-12-2017 07:31 PM)

Didn't they blow that containment board right off the internet?
Pinguu
User ID: 430451
09-12-2017 07:33 PM

Never been there...so was it all the fat people being racist....?

LOP GUEST WROTE... like u should be burned and then smashed into concrete and swept away with a high speed wire brush into the winds of ignorance that you wallow in.

Wow....im in Love.
LoP Guest
lop guest
09-12-2017 07:37 PM

pinguu  Wrote: (09-12-2017 07:33 PM)
Never been there...so was it all the fat people being racist....?

Lmao

No

He Man
09-12-2017 07:40 PM

LoP Guest  Wrote: (09-12-2017 07:29 PM)
Herman loves censorship.
I for one am shocked.

Lmao

Ok I will give it a go:

First they came for the fascists, banning them from Reddit and I didn't stand up because I wasn't a fascist. Everybody got along fine, the world was improved and the Neo-nazi crybabies had to go cry at storm front their safe space.

Russian President Vladimir Putin presented Tillerson with the Order of Friendship.

It's a great year for kleptocratic regimes, oligarchies, plutocracies and autocratic hell holes.
LoP Guest
lop guest
09-12-2017 07:49 PM

He Man  Wrote: (09-12-2017 07:40 PM)
Herman loves censorship.
I for one am shocked.

Lmao

Ok I will give it a go:

First they came for the fascists, banning them from Reddit and I didn't stand up because I wasn't a fascist. Everybody got along fine, the world was improved and the Neo-nazi crybabies had to go cry at storm front their safe space.

Keep using those words for everyone you disagree with. There is no way you and your ilk are soooo overusing them that they are being rendered meaningless like the other buzzwords you guys love.

All this study proves is that users found a way to get around manually filtered words after they were censored.

BTW what "fascist" or "Neo-Nazi" subreddits were banned?
Could you list them?
The ones mentioned in your article are neither.
LoP Guest
lop guest
User ID: 397455
09-12-2017 07:49 PM

Herman loves censorship.
I for one am shocked.

Lmao

Ok I will give it a go:

Im non white and let me point out to you, youve become what you hate. Your stereotype and hate on white people is sickening

Just stop it
dig
User ID: 410064
09-12-2017 07:54 PM

LoP Guest  Wrote: (09-12-2017 07:31 PM)

Never been, cannot go back to where you have never been.

Never condoned hurting others or hating others because they are different to me, ever.

Now, go fire your researcher, cos they suck big black balls.

loNeNLI
lop guest
User ID: 429395
09-12-2017 07:57 PM

And you're that Complete Obnoxious
to see that the left-sewer 'reddit' just cuts off free speech 'by a ban' ?
loNeNLI
lop guest
User ID: 429395
09-12-2017 07:59 PM

Meet the New Nazi's.

this time the debile socio's leading it.

And i tell you --

they will be thrice as Brutal as the Nazi's ever were.

Fool.

rephrase : Troll.
He Man
09-12-2017 08:00 PM

LoP Guest  Wrote: (09-12-2017 07:49 PM)
Lmao

Ok I will give it a go:

Im non white and let me point out to you, youve become what you hate. Your stereotype and hate on white people is sickening

Just stop it

No silly, I love white people, I am a white person, I just don't fetishize my skin color.
I only hate stupid people that hate other people for really dumb reasons like their skin color or their religion(s) or the fact they are in poverty or refugees or immigrants.

He Man
09-12-2017 08:04 PM

LoP Guest  Wrote: (09-12-2017 07:49 PM)
Lmao

Ok I will give it a go:

Keep using those words for everyone you disagree with. There is no way you and your ilk are soooo overusing them that they are being rendered meaningless like the other buzzwords you guys love.

All this study proves is that users found a way to get around manually filtered words after they were censored.

BTW what "fascist" or "Neo-Nazi" subreddits were banned?
Could you list them?
The ones mentioned in your article are neither.

I don't throw those words around lightly, I aim them at the people that spew neo nazi BS, racism, hate, genocide, torture, killings based on skin color or religion, or genetic history.

Advertisement

Contact UsConspiracy Forum. No reg. required! Return to TopReturn to ContentRSS Syndication